Legal issues

Necessary Documents for getting married in Denmark

Personal ID

– Passport or National ID and Schengen Visa /Residence Card / Entry Stamp /Military ID, if applicable.

Legal stay

– No-one who is illegally staying in the European Union can get married, since the Danish authorities will ask to see a residence permit or VISA. No marriage is possible for a foreigner who is seeking asylum or who is staying in the EU Schengen on the basis of toleration.

Birth Certificate 

– A Birth Certificate is not required 

Civil Status Certificate

– also called letter of non-impediment, confirming your marital status as single, divorced or widowed.  This document should not to be older than 4 months on the day of the wedding. Do let us advise you on how and where you obtain such a document.

Final Divorce Decree or Death Certificate

– if either of you are divorced or widowed we need the original death certificate or original finalized divorce certificate – and legalised if applicable.

If the documents are not already in English, German or Danish, then translated into one of these.


The scanned documents must be sent to us by e-mail. The documents must be a proper, direct colour copy of the original papers.

Once we have received your documents, we will check them thoroughly and then have them approved by the local authorities so you can be certain everything is in order. When the authorities have approved your papers we will confirm your preferred wedding date in writing, and help you finalize your accommodation and travel plans.

In person, you must present the original documents one day prior to your wedding (a week day – before noon), for a legal check at the registry office.